[Fwd: [Moderator Action] Re: 2.3 Simple Types]

Forwarded message 1

  • From: Mark Gravestock <mark.gravestock@gravesm.f2s.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 19:06:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Subject: [Moderator Action] Re: 2.3 Simple Types
  • To: <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
Hi,

As someone trying to learn XML & XML Schema from the specifications I have
the following minor observation. I'd like to add that the XML Schema Primer
is generally very accessible and a valuable text.

The paragraph about pattern facet (below) refers to ASCII characters, I find
this confusing as other XML definitions are always given in term of
Unicode - I understand that ASCII is a possible supported encoding of the
XML Unicode characters (but not manditory for all parsers - only UTF-8 &
UTF-16 are manditory?). I therefore think it would be more appropriate to
change the reference to Unicode.

'The purchase order schema contains another, more elaborate, example of a
simple type definition. A new simple type called SKU is derived (by
restriction) from the simple type string. Furthermore, we constrain the
values of SKU using a facet called pattern in conjunction with the regular
expression "\d{3}-[A-Z]{2}" that is read "three digits followed by a hyphen
followed by two upper-case ASCII letters":'

Your thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark