XML Schema Decimal Types

From: David Grant <david@davidjonathangrant.info>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:34:20 +0100
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

Hi,

I've just been reading [1]part 2 of the XML Schema Recommendation and
have a few questions.

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-2-20010502/

I noticed that [2]decimal and its derived types all have whitespace
listed as a constraint.  However, the [3]whitespace is said to be a
contraint of types derived from the string type.

2. http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-2-20010502/#decimal
3. http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-2-20010502/#rf-whiteSpace

Obviously, whitespace never usually has a place in the display of a
numeral, so I thought it might be assigned a default value corresponding
to the complete removal of whitespace.  However, only the following
values are acceptable:

* preserve
* replace
* collapse

None of which facilitate the stripping of whitespace.  So, is the
inclusion of whitespace as a constraint of decimal and its derived types
a mistake, or am I not reading the recommendation correctly?

Regards,

David Grant