XMLSchema 1.1 request: Allow children of an all group to appear more than once

From: by way of <stevemc@real.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:15:17 -0700
To: W3C XML Schema Comments list <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>

I'd like to see some changes with respect to how the 'xsd:all' group is
treated.  This request may not fit within the scope of XML Schema 1.1 as
you've defined it but please consider this for a future release if its not
applicable to XML Schema 1.1.

Here are some more details:

We use XML Schemas to define the structure of settings files for our
application that define a particular workflow.

I like the use of the 'all' group for defining groups of properties. Using
the 'all' group, the user is not forced to enter all properties in a fixed
order which, at least for our application, is an unnecessary limitation.

However, sometimes we wish to allow one property to appear more than once
an others to appear only once or no times.  This is not possible with the
all group and we have had to make structural changes to our settings files
to accommodate this the lack of flexibility in XML Schemas.

As stated above, it would be nice if the 'all' group allowed for entries to
occur more than once to allow us to use a more natural data structure.

As I understand things from the section 2.7 Building Content Models of the
XML Schema Primer, this is not allowed currently.

Thanks for the opportunity for feedback.  I'd be happy to provide more details.

Thanks,
Steve McMillen
Program Manager, RealNetworks
stevemc@real.com