New Requirement for Constructing Simple Datatypes

From: Andreas Hochsteger <e9625392@student.tuwien.ac.at>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 15:58:45 -0500 (EST)
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

Hi!

Is it possible to construct simple datatypes by composing other simple data
types?

Here's a practical example for better understanding:
If you define a schema you often have elements or attributes with data like
email address, host name, URL, ...
All of these data types have to be defined completely from scratch every time
(at least I didn't find a better solution) in the Schema.
But it would be much cleaner, if I could define the basic data types
'hostname', 'path', 'username', ...

Then I specify and email address by composing it of an username'@'hostname.
The same for an URL which is protocol'://'hostname':'port and path.

If this is not possible with XML Schema Version 1.0 then I'd propose to take
the requirement up for Version 1.1.

Comments are welcome ;-)

Bye,

        Andreas Hochsteger