equality clarification should be requirement

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:18:24 +0000
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

I read in RQ-24

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xmlschema-11-req-20030121/#N40024F

that you hope (but do not intend) to
"Distinguish our identity relation from the mathematical relation of
quantitative equality."

I refer you again to my study of equality of XML Schema datatypes
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2002Nov/att-0092/02-index

equality is a fundamental issue in the use of XML Schema datatypes in the
semantic web, particularly OWL, and to a lesser extent RDF.

I believe that predetermining that the desiderata is to distinguish rather
than to fully identify the two concepts is a mistake.

Moreover, clarity here is needed by the OWL community particularly, and
this part of RQ-24 should be elevated to a requirement.

"Clarify the relationship between our identify relation and the
mathematical relation of quantitative equality."

Except for one sentence XML Schema 1.0 is clear that they are the same
relationship. A U-turn will need explanation.

Jeremy Carroll
(as an individual)