Errata on ##other

From: Eric Sedlar <eric.sedlar@oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:51:54 -0700
To: <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
Cc: <jim.melton@acm.org>
Are there any plans to add other flavors of ##other?  The original definition of ##other allowed for unqualified attributes to match it, and now ##other has been "clarified" to require namespace-qualified attributes.  Certainly there are use cases for both flavors of ##other, as well as another issue that I have mentioned to Henry Thompson awhile ago (which he said was a requirement under consideration) which was a version of wildcards with ##other that allowed for elements in the same namespace as the target schema other than those otherwise declared in the current content model.

There are clearly a number of different flavors of ##other that do not require weakening the Unique Particle Attribution constraint that are very useful.  Currently, we are having backwards-compatibility problems since the assumption that unqualified namespaces would match ##other is no longer valid, and we have to migration strategy so that we can change schemas appropriately to keep the original assumption valid.  I don't think the E0-10 errata tightening the documents that validate with wildcards using ##other should be published without a mechanism to address backwards compatibility.

--Eric Sedlar
  Oracle Corporation