wish: Treating attributes and elements more equally

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 23:58:06 +0200
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

Hi,

I am sure I am the ten thousandth person to send such a request but I am
doing it anyways as it seems the invitation for public comment on the
Schema home page only contains an email for these comments.

After having learned XML Schema a little bit (in particular the tutorial
of Eric van der Vliest), I was expecting quite a lot, it seemed to be
real powerful, at least as opposed to DTD.

But then I realized that one of the most elementary thing that I wanted
to constain could not be constrained by Schema: I'd like a validation
tool to allow either

or

<blop ref="blip"/> <!-- no content in here ! -->

And the answer is... this is not possible !
The reason sounds weird to me: <xsi:attribute> elements cannot be part
of groups or alternatives.

Although there may be some implementation or other reason, I have to say
that I see no reason it is not possible to do so.

Hoping this could be fixed for XML-Schema 1.1.

Thanks.

Paul