Enhanced XML Schema semantic suggestion / XML Schema 1.1

From: Florian Reuter <flr@informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:15:03 +0100
To: <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>

I post this in response to the XML Schema 1.1 request. I am working on
XML based middleware technologies for ubiquitous devices.
For that purposes we needed an "enhanced" semantic for XML-Schema's
All-, derivation-by-extension- and minimal-/maximal occurrence
cardinalities concepts.

To get an idea of the enhanced semantic consider the following
XML Schema fragment:

<xs:complexType name="Address">
  <xs:restriction base="xs:anyType">
    <xs:element name="Name" type="xs:anySimpleType"
                minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" />
    <xs:element name="Firstname" type="xs:anySimpleType"
                minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" />
    <xs:group ref="Contact" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="4" />

<xs:group name="Contact">
  <xs:element name="Mail" type="xs:anySimpleType" />
  <xs:element name="Phone" type="xs:anySimpleType" />

As you may notice the above fragment is invalid regarding to
XML Schema (1.0) because of the <xs:group ref="Contact" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="4" /> statement within the <xs:all> declaration.

For validation against these XML-Schemas we developed a new class of
state machines, called Cardinality Constraint Automata. These automata
allow the efficient validation of the above XML Schema. Other benefits
of these automata are semantic enhancements for XML-Schema's
extension- and minimal-/maximal occurrence cardinalities concepts.
We'd like to present our work to the XML Schema developing
public. We therefore built a prototype which demonstrates the
semantic enhancements. The prototype is available via
http://www.swarms.de/software. A paper describing the CCA
technology is available at http://www.swarms.de/publications/cca.pdf.

I'm looking for your comments,
Merry Christmas,