Errata E1-22

From: <sandygao@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 18:51:29 -0500
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

The following is added to the constraint "Schema Component Constraint:
Derivation Valid (Restriction, Simple)":

"↑all of the following must be true:
2.3.1.1 The {final} of the {item type definition} must not contain list.
2.3.1.2 The {facets} must be empty."

I'm OK with 2.3.1.1, which was moved from "Simple Type Definition
Properties Correct ". (It wasn't not properly stated there).

But for 2.3.1.2, I'm not sure whether it's correct. For list types, I think
the "whiteSpace" facet is fixed to "collapse", then {facets} can't be empty
here.

One may argue that "whiteSpace" facet is only used when deriving a list
type from another list type, but not when you construct a new list from an
item type. But when such *new list* type is used for validation, we always
assume that it has a whiteSpace facet, and use such facet for validation.
Isn't this a contradiction?

Changing 2.3.1.2 to something like:

"2.3.1.2 The {facets} must only contain the whiteSpace facet with the value
collapse."

would make everybody happy.

Thanks,
Sandy Gao