Re: xsd:list should allow a 'delimiter' attribute

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 15:37:40 -0400
To: "Don Smith" <Don_Smith@haley.com> (by way of "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <<Don_Smith@haley.com<Don_Smith>)
Cc: W3C XML Schema Comments list <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>

This has been debated many times, with good points on both sides:

Pro:  pretty much the ones you indicate.  There are lots of lists in the
world that are carried around with a variety of separators, and the
proposed type would allow us to represent them.

Cons:  a) violates keep it simple b) lists are already controversial...in
that better markup would be to use explicit elements.  Soon we'll be
asking whether XSL templates can conveniently iterate over the delimited
lists, whether query can get at the sub items, and generally re-inventing
all the mechanisms we already have for dealing with sequences in XML.

So, I'm not saying it's clearly a bad idea, just that it's been debated
and the workgroup took a middle ground:  we resisted the calls from those
who said we should not do lists at all, and we resisted (so far) the
suggestions to support smarter lists with delimiters.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

"Don Smith" <Don_Smith@haley.com> (by way of "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen"
<cmsmcq