Boy, I lost my Annotations :-)

From: Asir S Vedamuthu <asirv@webmethods.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:52:21 -0400
To: "W3C XML Schema Comments list" <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
Cc: <holstege@mathling.com>

Yes, I did :-) Mary and I bumped into this ..

And, here it goes. Let me start with an example and then traverse thru the
schema component graph.

<!-- other Address derivations for more countries -->
<simpleType name="USState">
 <restriction base="string">
  <enumeration value="AK">
   <annotation><documentation>Alaska</documentation></annotation>
  </enumeration>
  <enumeration value="AL">
    <annotation><documentation>Alabama</documentation></annotation>
  </enumeration>
  <enumeration value="AR">
    <annotation><documentation>Arkansas</documentation></annotation>
  </enumeration>
  <!-- and so on ... -->
 </restriction>
</simpleType>

Per Part 2,

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#ct-enumeration
 {value} A set of values from the ˇvalue spaceˇ of the {base type
definition}.
 {annotation} Optional. An annotation.

&

Mapping XML Rep to schema components,
{annotation} <== The annotations corresponding to all the <annotation>
element information items in the  [children], if any.

&

Schema Representation Constraint: Multiple enumerations

If multiple <enumeration> element information items appear as  [children] of
a <simpleType> the {value} of the enumeration component should be the set of
all such  [value]s.

This results in one enumeration component in the USState simple type
component's {facets} property. That is,

enumeration
 {value} = {AK, AL, AR, .. }
 {annotation} = This is processor dependent.

This defect applies to enumeration & pattern schema components. This is not
a critical issue & just a defect, I believe.

Regards,

Asir S Vedamuthu

webMethods, Inc.
703-460-2513 or asirv@webmethods.com