Re: PSVI: {document} property

Elena Litani <elitani@ca.ibm.com> writes:

> Hi Henry,
>
> Thank you for prompt reply.
>
> "Henry S. Thompson" wrote:
> > Um, have you looked at what the [schema documents] property requires
> > for its _value_?
>
> Of course :). However, I found the spec unclear.
>
> The definition for the [schema documents] property specifies that both
> [document location] and [document] properties exist _if_available_:
>
> document location
> Either a URI reference, if available, otherwise ·absent·
> document
> A document information item, if available, otherwise ·absent·.
>

> Your interpretation is that _if_available_ means that the lightweight
> processors do not have to expose [document] property but they still
> should expose the [document location] one (even though the spec says
> _if_available_ for this property too):

But there may not _be_ any URI, e.g. for built-in schemas.

> > So a lightweight processor can tell me where it found documents, but
> > doesn't have to build and/or expose an infoset for them.
>
> I am glad to hear that this is the indention.
>
> However, my interpretation is different: if a document was found it is
> _available_ and it is not up to a processor to choose to expose the
> property or not. And given that in some cases the spec mentions
> explicitly that lightweight processors may leave some property empty
> (and this is not the case for the [document] property), I thought that
> my interpretation is correct.

The document being found does not make a document info item
available.  XML processors are not required to implement _any_ of the
infoitems in the infoset, so a conformant processor may perfectly well
locate a document (put its URL in the [document location] property),
parse the document, build a schema from it, but _never_ construct a
document infoitem or anything like it.  In that case, no document
information is is available.

ht