From: Xiaotao Wu [mailto:xiaotaow@cs.columbia.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 7:59 AM
To: W3C XML Schema Comments list
Subject: RE: delimiter for list items

I encountered the delimiter problem when I was trying to convert the DTD
of CPL (Call Processing Language) to XML Schema. There is an attribute
bySeconds, the type of the attribute is a list of number, separated by
comma. The reason of using comma as the delimiter for this attribute is
follow the IETF RFC 2445 (Internet Calendaring and Scheduling Core
Object Specification). In the Section 4.1.1 of the RFC, it mentions:

4.1.1 List and Field Separators

    Some properties and parameters allow a list of values. Values in a
    list of values MUST be separated by a COMMA character (US-ASCII
    decimal 44). There is no significance to the order of values in a
    list. For those parameter values (such as those that specify URI
    values) that are specified in quoted-strings, the individual quoted-
    strings are separated by a COMMA character (US-ASCII decimal 44).

-Xiaotao

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Biron,Paul V wrote:

> [...]
the
WG to allow user defined delimiters.  The WG felt that the feature would

add to the complexity of the spec/implementations and decided not to
include it.  In the scope of schema v1.1 I don't think the WG will feel
this feature is important enough, but there is some chance of it making
its
way into schema v2.

 > To help that happen, can you provide a specific use case as to why
the
feature "may be useful"?

 > pvb

-Xiaotao

Name  : Xiaotao Wu
Email : xiaotaow@cs.columbia.edu, xw71@columbia.edu
URL   : http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~xiaotaow
Phone : (212)939-7020, (212)939-7133,  Fax: (801)751-0217
SIP   : sip:xiaotaow@conductor.cs.columbia.edu
Office: Room 463, Mudd building, West 120th