[Fwd: Formal specifications (was: Who can implement W3C XML Schema ?)]

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 10:53:00 +0100
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

--
See you in Paris.
                      http://www.afnet.fr/afnet/net200x/programme.html#T9

attached mail follows:

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Yes, the problem with XML Schema is that is pseudo-formal. It has the
> precision of prose and the easy readability of mathematical notation. The
> Schema Formal Description tries to make this completely formal, but this
> work has never been completed.

To come back on this important issue, IMO a specification should use
either a formal description language or plain natural language (or both).

This reminds me of a specification language named SDL (normalized by the
CCITT) I have been using in the 80's. The great thing with such a
language was that you could run simulations and test your
specifications. I remember having specified a project using SDL and
having detected design flaws on tests scenarios before having written a
single line of code (it was not eXtreme Programming but eXtreme
Specifications!).

This language was not so far from what is needed to specify the
implementation of a schema language since it was especially well
featured for describing finite state machines.

I have not used it since the 90's, but there seem to have been some
convergences with UML-RT recently.

If the purpose of a spec such has W3C XML Schema part1 is to describe
the validation algorithm why not using such a language completed by a
plain English description?

Eric