separator
that separates the time fields from the date fields in a dateTime.

The time zone is specified as hh:mm or Z following the lexical format
for date, gMonth etc.  For example 2002-03-22-05:00 for date and
1999-05-05:00 for gYearMonth.

All the best, Ashok
Ashok Malhotra              <mailto: ashokma@microsoft.com>
Microsoft Corporation
212 Hessian Hills Road
Croton-On-Hudson, NY 10520 USA
Redmond: 425-703-9462                New York: 914-271-6477

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kay [mailto:michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 10:23 AM
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Subject: Dates with timezones

I am having trouble determining from XML Schema Part 2 whether a date
that
has a timezone should be written 2002-03-22-05:00 or 2002-03-22T-05:00.
The
same applies to gYear, gYearMonth, etc.

There seem to be no examples of these formats in the document, and there
are
no patterns given to specify the lexical value space. ISO 8601 is no
help
because it does not permit these formats.

Under date (section 3.2.9) it is stated that "An optional following time
zone qualifier is allowed as for dateTime". But the term "time zone
qualifier" is not actually defined in the section on dateTime.

In general I would expect to find a "T" between the date part of the
value
and the time part, and I would regard the time zone as being within the
time
part. But I can't see anything anywhere that tells me whether the "T" is
required here.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com