RE: XML Schema wildcard question

From: Biron,Paul V <Paul.V.Biron@kp.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:45:39 -0800
To: W3C XML Schema Comments list <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
Cc: "'Maureen.Harig@apcc.com'" <Maureen.Harig@apcc.com>
Another way to describe what you're asking for is what was refered to as
"open" enumerations in the early design phase of the spec.  That is, a type
whose value space is the same as its base type, but for which certain values
are singled out as "special" via enumeration.

I have distinct use cases for such a feature, however, it has never been
easy to enumerate (pun intended :-) the validation implications of such a
type.  In other words, from the perspect of type validity, your
DeviceDataType *is* xsd:string.  You just want some way to tell document
authors that you'd prefer they choose a value from your enumeration if

One thing you can do is to use appinfo to enumerate the "prefered" values,
as in:

	<xsd:element name="DeviceDataType">
					<yourNS:prefered value='b'/>
					<yourNS:prefered value='f'/>
					<yourNS:prefered value='flag'/>
					<yourNS:prefered value='h'/>
					<yourNS:prefered value='i'/>
					<yourNS:prefered value='s'/>
	       <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string"/>

and then key all of your special processing off of that appinfo.