Re: Pattern of language type in XMLSchema.xsd

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:56:24 -0500
To: Yin Leng Husband <Yin-Leng.Husband@compaq.com>
Cc: bobatk@microsoft.com, David Beech <David.Beech@oracle.com>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>, Yin Leng Husband <Yin-Leng.Husband@compaq.com>, www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
By cc:, I am forwarding your note to the schema comments list, which should
bring it to the attention of the schemas workgroup.  Thank you.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

                      Yin Leng Husband
                      <Yin-Leng.                To:       "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, David Beech <David.Beech@oracle.
                      Husband@compaq.            com>, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
                      com>                      cc:       Yin Leng Husband <Yin-Leng.Husband@compaq.com>, bobatk@microsoft.com
                                                Subject:  Pattern of language type in XMLSchema.xsd
                      03/11/2002 08:41
                      PM

I am a member of the UDDI Working Group.

As part of our work in defining the forthcoming v3 of the Universal
Description, Discovery, and Integration (UDDI) specification, we in the
UDDI Working Group have found the need to refer to the XMLSchema's language
type and its pattern as defined in http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd and
reproduced below:

<xs:pattern value="([a-zA-Z]{2}|[iI]-[a-zA-Z]+|[xX]-[a-zA-Z]{1,8})(-[a-zA-
Z]{1,8})*" id="language.pattern">
  - <xs:annotation>
    <xs:documentation source="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-LanguageID">
  pattern specifies the content of section 2.12 of XML 1.0e2 and RFC 1766</
  xs:documentation>
  </xs:annotation>
  </xs:pattern>

We believe that the first alternative in the pattern value should be
changed from 2 alpha-characters to 8 alpha-characters as RFC 1766 defines
Language-Tag = Primary-tag *( "-" Subtag )
    Primary-tag = 1*8ALPHA
    Subtag = 1*8ALPHA
That is, the pattern's value should be changed to
value="([a-zA-Z]{8}|[iI]-[a-zA-Z]+|[xX]-[a-zA-Z]{1,8})(-[a-zA-Z]{1,8})*"

We would like to submit the above as an errata to the XMLSchema.xsd,
especially since RFC 3066 (Jan 2001), which obsoletes RFC 1766, refers to
3-letter language codes.
Please direct any feedback on this note to me on behalf of the UDDI WG.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
/>
Thank you,
Yin Leng

--
Yin-Leng Husband, Compaq Computer Corporation
Team lead of Internationalization team, UDDI Working Group

graycol.gif
(image/gif attachment: graycol.gif)

ecblank.gif
(image/gif attachment: ecblank.gif)