RE: Questions about "equal" fundamental facet

> 1. what are the values of totalDigits/fractionDigits for decimal "0.00"?
> [AM] 2/1 corresponding to 0.0

So the concept is to count the number of digits on the canonical
representation, right? I can certainly live with this. But I originally
thought that only significant digits count, and it'd be 0 for both faction
and total digits.

> 2. Whether international decimal characters that are out of the range
> #x30~#x39 (#x660, for example) are allowed in date time types?
> [AM] No.  We should allow only the characters we allow for decimal.

This is what I expected. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

> Clearly, this is important for operations on datatypes but why is this
> important for Schema ?  Schema uses equality only for min/max
> inclusive/exclusive and enumerated values.

First of all, "equality" is referenced by two other places in the structure
spec: identity constraint validation (3.11.1) and particle derivation
(3.9.6, Elt -- NameAndTypeOK). Of course, these two places fit into the
current "equality" definition, but users might expect float(1.0) and
double(1.0) to be equal for identity constraint validation.

Another place where it should be referenced is in complex type derivation
(restriction) (3.4.6).
"2.1.3.2 R's ·effective value constraint· is fixed with the same string as
B's."
Shouldn't it be "with the same value as B's"? Reasons:
1. value constraint is a pair of (default|fixed) and an (actual) value. No
string here.
2. String comparison implies 1.0 != 1.00. I don't think this is the
intention. Similar constraint for elements (NameAndTypeOK mentioned above)
compares the values, not strings.

And more importantly, schema datatypes are considered (by many users) the
standard XML type system, so people want to make use of it as much as
possible. Xerces has received many requests to expose the implementation of
schema datatypes, how strings are validated, how actually values are
represented, and how to get the actual values of elements and attributes
(instead of just a normalized value in PSVI). So people definitely want to
use the schema types/values, and equality (and order) comparisons seem to
be so natural in such use.

So schema datatypes functioning as a powerful type system, instead of just
for schema validity checking, would be really beneficial.

Thanks,
Sandy Gao
Software Developer, IBM Canada
(1-905) 413-3255
sandygao@ca.ibm.com

                    "Ashok
                    Malhotra"            To:     Sandy Gao/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
                    <ashokma@micro       cc:     <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>, "Biron,Paul V"
                    soft.com>             <Paul.V.Biron@kp.org>
                                         Subject:     RE: Questions about "equal" fundamental facet
                    04/25/2002
                    11:53 AM
                    Please respond
                    to "Ashok
                    Malhotra"

Sandy, you asked two questions.  I'm not definite about the answers but
I'm
putting out some answers to start discussion.

1. what are the values of totalDigits/fractionDigits for decimal "0.00"?

[AM] 2/1 corresponding to 0.0

2. Whether international decimal characters that are out of the range
#x30~#x39 (#x660, for example) are allowed in date time types?
[AM] No.  We should allow only the characters we allow for decimal.

On your question about equality, I answered the general question.  You
make that there are special cases where 2 primitive types share a value
space and
in such cases we could define equality across the shared spaces.

Clearly, this is important for operations on datatypes but why is this
important for Schema ?  Schema uses equality only for min/max
inclusive/exclusive and enumerated values.

All the best, Ashok