RE: Internal inconsistency wrt year 0000

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:37:00 +0700
To: Ashok Malhotra <ashokma@microsoft.com>, www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

> Our current thinking is that ISO 8601 is in error and we want to request
> a change disallowing the year 0000.
> You said:
>> Now the year 1BC in the proleptic Gregorian calendar is a leap year.
> Where can I confirm this information?  We've been worrying about a
> related change in the comparison of durations that is affected by this
> information.

If you start from first principles, I think this has to be the case.  The
purpose of leap years in a calendar is to ensure that the mean length of a
year in the calendar is as close as possible to the length of the solar
tropical year.  This requires that the calendar have a regular cycle. The
cycle of the Gregorian calendar is 400 years.  The year 400AD is a leap
year. The year 1BC immediately precedes 1AD and so is 400 years before
400AD. Therefore 1BC must also be a leap year.  In other words, if 1BC was
not a leap year, there would be a discontinuity in the proleptic Gregorian
calendar for which there is no justification.  I did a bit of googling and
found the following:

http://www.bluewaterarts.com/calendar/InterGravissimas.htm  (translation of
Papal Bull establishing the Gregorian calendar)

As regards the the year 0000 issue, everything I have found on the Web
suggests that ISO 8601 is correct, and that the year -1 corresponds to 2 BC
not 1 BC.  There are two ways to number years:

-2, -1, 0, 1, 2
3 BC, 2 BC, 1 BC, 1 AD, 2 AD

but never

-2, -1, 1, 2

In addition to the above see:

I have never found anything that suggests that the year -1 corresponds to 1
BC in the Gregorian calendar.