Re: Substitution Groups in Local Elements?

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 22 Apr 2002 19:11:06 +0100
To: Jerome Simeon <simeon@simeon-ltmh.research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: W3C XML Schema IG <w3c-xml-schema-ig@w3.org>, Jerome Simeon <simeon@research.bell-labs.com>, Philip Wadler <wadler@research.avayalabs.com>, www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
[technical discussion on the IG, please]

Jerome Simeon <simeon@simeon-ltmh.research.bell-labs.com> writes:

> Can a local element belong to a substitution group?
>
> We can find nothing in Schema Part I that prohibits this, but if it is
> permitted, it is not clear what it would mean.

The Schema for Schemas rules this out:

 <xs:complexType name="localElement">
  <xs:complexContent>
   <xs:restriction base="xs:element">
    . . .
    <xs:attribute name="substitutionGroup" use="prohibited"/>
   </xs:restriction>
  </xs:complexContent>
 </xs:complexType>

This only applies to the XML representation layer, of course.

It's a bug that there's no clause in "Schema Component Constraint:
Element Declaration Properties Correct" ruling this out for components
as well.