No need to import built in types (possible erratum?)

From: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:29:18 -0400
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
In responding to a question from a user of the schema language, I couldn't
find anything in our specification that made clear that no <import> is
needed for the built-in data types.  It is clear that every schema contains
the components corresponding to those types, but the rules for a reference
to a type seem to mandate an import except when referring to the target
namespace of the schema document in which the reference appears [1].  Have
we indeed made clear that no import is needed?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#src-resolve

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142