Clarification needed on circular substitution group

From: <sandygao@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:34:00 -0400
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Hi. I didn't find any constraint that disallows the following circular
substitution group declarations:

<element name="e1" substitutionGroup="e2"/>
<element name="e2" substitutionGroup="e1"/>

<element name="e" substitutionGroup="e"/>

So I guess they are valid declaration. But how to determine the types of
these element declarations? From the spec

"otherwise the {type definition} of the element declaration ·resolved· to
by the ·actual value· of the substitutionGroup [attribute], if present,
otherwise the ·ur-type definition·."

Now all of these element declarations have substitution group, and none of
them has an explicit type (type attribute or anonymous type), so we can't
determine the types of them just according to the above statement.

I think the types should be anyType, but it's not clear from the spec.

Could someone clarify? Thanks a lot.

Sandy Gao
Software Developer, IBM Canada
(1-905) 413-3255