Re: Explicit Factoring (was RE: Enlightenment via avoiding the T-word)

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: 31 Aug 2001 11:55:05 -0400
To: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org, www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
On 31 Aug 2001 16:30:20 +0100, Leigh Dodds wrote:
> If the spec is already well factored, then this shouldn't involve
> more than pulling out the relevant piece(s) into separate
> specifications. And if it isn't that easy then maybe there's too
> many 'implicit' details. So it would be a useful exercise in
> any case.

There are two additional (non-PSVI) pieces of the W3C XML Schema spec I
consider 'gems' worth similar extraction:

An XPath subset (used for identity constraints):
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#coss-identity-constraint

A Regular Expressions vocabulary:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#regexs

I don't think either of those has many implicit ties to other parts of
W3C XML Schema, so refactoring would be less of an issue.  I'd love to
be able to point to either of these specs as a separate specification.

Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com