RE: Lexical representation of gMonth

Something for the errata?

 -----Original Message-----
 From: zongaro@ca.ibm.com
 Sent: Thu 8/9/2001 1:36 PM
 To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
 Subject: Lexical representation of gMonth

 Hello,

      I don't know whether this has been discussed before, but I
was just noticing what appears to be a discrepancy between the lexical
representation of gMonth in the "XML Schema:  Datatypes" recommendation
[1] and the truncated representation of a month described in 5.2.1.3 of
ISO 8601:1988.  The former indicates that the lexical representation is
"--MM--", while the latter specifies the truncated representation as
"--MM".

      The rule applied by ISO8601 seems (roughly) to be "omit
fields on the right along with their separators; replace fields on the
left with hyphens, and keep the separators."

      Was this difference intended?  If so, why wasn't the same
thing done for gYear or gYearMonth?  They are represented in the
Datatypes recommendation as "CCYY" and "CCYY-MM", respectively (just as
in ISO 8601).  It seems that "CCYY----" and "CCYY-MM--" would have been
more consistent with the representation for gMonth.

      Sorry if I'm missing either some history or the
descriptions are different in ISO 8601:2000.

 Thanks,

 Henry

 [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-2-20010502/#gMonth

 Henry Zongaro      XML Parsers development
 IBM SWS Toronto Lab   Tie Line 778-6044;  Phone (416) 448-6044
 mailto:zongaro@ca.ibm.com