request for clarification: "validation rule: datatype valid"

From: Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI <kohsuke.kawaguchi@eng.sun.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:09:47 -0800
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

Dear XML Schema WG members,

In the section 4.1 of the part 2, the spec has a green boxed item titled
"Validation Rule: Datatype Valid".

But it contains several errors.

First, the following check has to be done regardless of "pattern" facet.

> if {variety} is atomic then the string must match a literal in the
> lexical space of {base type definition}

The spec lists above item under "if {pattern} is not a member of {facets}"
clause.

Second, whitespace normalization has to be done before performing
lexical check, but the box item does not mention about "whiteSpace"
facet at all. So the following item has to be inserted before the first
bullet.

> it is normalized as specified by {whiteSpace} facet.

It seems to me that the above item is *intentionally* removed from this
box item, but I don't understand why. "To be usable outside the context
of XML Schemas"(quote from 1.3), I think Part 2 has to specify by itself how
whiteSpace facet works.

Related to this, in the section 4.3.6, the spec explicitly states that

> whiteSpace provides for
>
> * Constraining a value space according to the white space
>   normalization rules.

But apparently this is wrong; "whiteSpace" facet is by no means value
constraint facet.

regards,
K.Kawaguchi
E-Mail: k-kawa@bigfoot.com