simple types = complex types (sometimes) ?

From: Helena Cavanagh <helena.cavanagh@usa.net>
Date: Mon Mar 19 15:46:38 2001
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Dear Editors,

I have always wondered the following: I have found nothing in the
specification that disallows the following complex type definition

<complexType>
	<simpleContent>
		<extension base="string"/>
	</simpleContent>
</complexType>

now, isn't this exactly the same as a simple type definition (just character
data)? Shouldn't complex and simple types be disjoint groups?

Thank you very much,

Helena Cavanagh

PS: Great job in the Proposed Recommendation, much much much better to read
and understand. Thank you!