RE: Part 2 (Datatypes): whiteSpace not fixed

From: Biron,Paul V <Paul.V.Biron@kp.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:15:36 -0800
To: "'Jeff Lowery'" <jlowery@scenicsoft.com>, "'www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org'" <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>

Thank you for your comment on the XML Schema specification.

The value of whiteSpace does not *need* to be fixed to collapse in non
primitive types other than string in order to enforce the rule that it cann
be "overridden".

The reason that the value does not *need* to be fixed is that there is a
general constraint on all simple type restriction such that the value space
of the derived type must be no larger than the value space of the base
type...thus, if the value of whiteSpace is collapse in the base type, it
cannot be set to anything else in the derived type, because that would
result in a larger value space.

However, to avoid any uncertainly, the schema for schemas now does fix the
value of whiteSpace for all primitive types other than string.

pvb