List Type Delimiter?

From: Richard Rathmann <Richard.Rathmann@noaa.gov>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:56:56 -0500
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
I recently read through the Primer CR and skimmed through parts of the
Structures and Datatype CRs.  I then decided to attempt converting the
XHTML 1.0 DTD to a schema to try and get some hands-on experience of how
to use schemas myself.

One concern I came across in the process deals, in particular, with
"MediaDesc" parameter entity content for the "media" attributes of the
<link> and <style> elements.  The possible value space for this
attribute is described as a "single or comma-separated list of media
descriptors."  However, this datatype can not be represented with the
current definition of a list composite datatype, as the atomic items in
the list are delimited by commas rather than by whitespace.

If an optional "delimiter" attribute, which might default to whitespace,
was added to list datatype declarations, the "MediaDesc" datatype could
then be described with a list datatype declaration and a comma
delimiter.

Richard Rathmann

--
Richard E. Rathmann