RE: CR-21: Drop use of xsi:type as determinant for unions?

NOPE. I am not satisfied with the decision taken by the WG on this issue.
First, this issue was never opened and discussed. Second, I agree that it is
a useful feature. Third, I am NOT CONVINCED that it is well-defined. 'Cos,

CR spec doesn't say that is impossible to override the evaluation order if
the membertypes are anonymous types / combination of anonymous and named
types. Or, what happens if there are constraining facets on the union type,
say enumeration and pattern (s). Here is one example,

A.xsd
<xsd:element name='size'>
    <xsd:simpleType>
      <xsd:union>
        <xsd:simpleType>
          <xsd:restriction base='integer'>
		<xsd:minInclusive value="10"/>
	    </xsd:restriction>
        </xsd:simpleType>
        <xsd:simpleType>
          <xsd:restriction base='string'>
		<xsd:enumeration value="large"/>
		<xsd:enumeration value="medium"/>
		<xsd:enumeration value="small"/>
		<xsd:enumeration value="01"/>
	    </xsd:restriction>
        </xsd:simpleType>
      </xsd:union>
    </xsd:simpleType>
</xsd:element>

A.xml
(1)	<size>1</size>
(2)	<size>large</size>
(3)	<size xsi:type='xsd:string'>01</size>

(1) and (2) validate OK. In case (3), is 'xsd:string' a member of this
anonymous union type? NOPE

I would like my dissent on this decision be recorded. But, it is not grave
enough for the Director.

Regards, Asir S Vedamuthu