Re: CR-20 wildcard-minus: Make wildcard namespace selection more powerful?

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:49:21 +0700
To: Ashok Malhotra <petsa@us.ibm.com>
CC: XML Schema Comments <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
I wish to record a mild dissent.  My concern is not so much that this
particular bit of functionality is missing in 1.0 but rather that you
have locked yourself in to a syntactic approach that will make it hard
to add it cleanly in the future. Your current design invents an ad hoc
non-XML syntax to enable an attribute value to describe a set of
namespaces.  In general, I would suggest it's a bad approach to try and
pack structured information into an attribute value: it often works at
first, but as you try to add more features, it runs out of steam and an
incresingly baroque and non-orthogonal syntax becomes necessary. I think
you would be much better off to use elements in the content of the "any"
element to describe the set of namespaces.