Allow CDATA sections in strings

From: Ashok Malhotra <petsa@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:15:38 -0500
To: XML Schema Comments <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
Cc: "Francisco Curbera" <curbera@us.ibm.com>
Paco Curbera who is using schema in interesting ways asked my whether
XML CDATA sections could be included within values declared as xsd:string?
And can markup be included in the content of something declared as string?
My answer was that you could put anything within strings.  The content
would
not be interpreted or validated (except that < and & are not alloed and
must
be coded as &lt; and &amp; )

Is this correct?

Some of the confusion arose because of our inappropriately named datatype
formerly known as CDATA.  I told him we had voted to rename it.

All the best, Ashok