Re: CR-56: Specify text/xml or application/xml

From: <muraw3c@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:37:54 +0900 (JST)
To: marting@develop.com
Cc: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org, connolly@w3.org, ricko@gate.sinica.edu.tw
From: "Martin Gudgin" <marting@develop.com>
Subject: CR-56: Specify text/xml or application/xml
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:34:38 -0000

> After some discussion the Schema Working Group decided to remain agnostic
> about the mime type for XML Schema documents and say in the spec that
> processors must accept text/xml and application/xml but may also accept
> other mime types ( such as text/plain for example )
>
> It would be helpful to us to know whether you are satisfied with the
> decision taken by the WG on this issue, or wish your dissent from the
> WG's decision to be recorded for consideration by the Director of
> the W3C.

Thank you for the message, but I must say that I am not satisfied.

First, use of text/xml for XML Schema is clearly in conflict with
RFC 3023 (Proposed Standard) and MIME RFCs.  The IETF-XML-MIME ML has
spent a lot of time on this issue, and it is very unfortunate that the
XML Schema WG simply ignored the consensus.

Second, use of text/plain for XML Schema is just wrong.

I would like the director of W3C to be aware of this conflict
between IETF and W3C.

Cheers,

MURATA Makoto