RE: Issues with Contribution: Attribute Default Value

From: Joe Lapp <jlapp@webmethods.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:37:20 -0500
To: "David E. Cleary" <davec@progress.com>, "Asir S Vedamuthu" <asirv@webmethods.com>, "Www-Xml-Schema-Comments@W3. Org" <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
Cc: "W3c-Xml-Schema-Ig" <w3c-xml-schema-ig@w3.org>, "Ningang chen" <nchen@webmethods.com>
At 09:33 AM 12/13/00 -0500, David E. Cleary wrote:
>The DOM does absolutly no validation when creating an XML document. If you
>do not use the DOM to add xmlns attributes, it will create invalid XML, but
>it won't stop you from adding attributes and elements that use namespaces.
>So it is up to the application that is using the DOM to do the right thing

I apologize for being ignorant about the terminology, but is the schema processor considered to be one such 'application'?

>if it wants valid XML. If there are no xmlns attributes that define
>namespace prefixes, it isn't valid. The term SUPERFICIAL PREFIX should be
>immediatly struck from the record and never used again, because there is no
>such thing.

Ooo, that was kind of harsh.  Seeing these two posts I can only conclude that there is such a thing in one mind but not in another.

Joe Lapp
W3C Advisory Committee Representative
webMethods, Inc.