[www-xml-schema-comments] <none>

From: Patrick SHEPPARD <patrick@mda.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 14:01:38 -0800
To: "'www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org'" <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
I would like to see a mechanism defined inside XML Schema by which dynamic
data may be included in a schema definition. For example, if the target
value contained a construct like the following:

	<numberOfWidgets>125</numberOfWidgets>
	<widgets>
		<widget>
		</widget>
		<widget>
		</widget>
	</widgets>

Obviously, the intent is that the number of <widget> elements in the
<widgets> list should be exactly 125. I don't see how to specify a schema
which captures this very routine construct. I don't agree, for example, that
this should be relegated to business logic elsewhere in the application.
That could be done, but this situation is so common that it qualifies as a
candidate for a standard validation construct.

A suggestion for how to accomplish this is to allow something like the
following construct inside a <xsd:restriction>

	<xsd:maxExclusive xpath="../numberOfWidgets"/>

Patrick Sheppard                Direct phone:     604 231 2978
Systems Engineer                Switchboard:      604 278 3411
MacDonald Dettwiler             FAX:              604 278 2936
http://www.mda.ca               E-mail:           patrick@mda.ca