RE: Implementation Experience: Notation is NOT a DERIVED type of QName

I was also concerned with the design when it was first proposed.  The main
reason was that I saw no way to translate a DTD that had NOTATION
attributes, since in the XML 1.0 + Namespaces world NOTATIONS are not in a
namespace.  However, after a few go-rounds with Henry, we decided that the
current design can work for translating DTDs that use NOTATION
attributes...its not elegant, but it works.

If you need to have a schema that has a target namespace and has NOTATIONS
that are not in any namespace, you just need to have 2 schema documents.
The first one has no target namespace and contains the NOTATION
declarations, the second has a target namespace and imports the first one.

pvb