Re: Schema for schemas and XML schema DTD

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 02 Nov 2000 10:28:56 +0000
To: "Michel, Adrian" <adrian.michel@commerceone.com>
Cc: "'www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org'" <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>, "Fuchs, Matthew" <matthew.fuchs@commerceone.com>
"Michel, Adrian" <adrian.michel@commerceone.com> writes:

> Presently, the XML Schema DTD is not normative and its usage optional. At
> the same time, the Schema for Schemas, which is normative, is dependent on
> the DTD for the definition of a number of default values for attributes
> (#FIXED attributes in the DTD), which means an implementation cannot in fact
> not use the XML Schema DTD.

I think this is misleading.  The XML Schema DTD is not normative with
respect to what is or is not a conforming schema document.  That
doesn't mean it's not useful, or that the XML Schema schema document,
_as an XML 1.0 document_, should not use a DTD.  I strongly resist the
implication that XML Schema processors should not be conformant XML
1.0 processors.

> The schema for schemas should be self contained (even if valid relative to
> the DTD), and the Schema for Schemas itself should not contain any
> declarations that would change the content of an XML Schema (including
> itself) such as default values for attributes.

With respect, I don't think any changes are called for.