Re: simpleTypes and final

"Bob Schloss/Watson/IBM" <rschloss@us.ibm.com> writes:

> First, congratulations on release CR specs....
>
> A question:
>
> The Primer (24 Oct) section 4.8 paragraph 2 says that you can prevent
> a particular simple type from having types derived from it.

I think you're right that this is at best misleading.

> The Datatype spec (24 Oct) section 5.1 does not indicate that the
> final attribute can be specified on the simpleType element information
> item.

What is provided is a way of preventing derivations which change
particular facets.  If you say e.g.

  <minInclusive value="10" fixed="true"/>

then derived types cannot change minInclusive (or minExclusive, right
Paul?).

If, somewhat tediously, you set fixed on _all_ the constraining facets
of a simple type, that would effectively block further derivation.

It has to be said one reason that overall blocking is not easier wrt
simple types is we had never had anyone signal a requirement -- do you
have such a requirement?

ht