[Fwd: Validating XPointer "IDREFs"]

For information and public record.

Eric

Forwarded message 1

  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 22:57:05 +0200
  • Subject: Re: Validating XPointer "IDREFs"
  • To: "Eve L. Maler" <eve.maler@east.sun.com>
  • Cc: daniel.Veillard@w3.org, cmsmcq@w3.org
Hello Eve,

"Eve L. Maler" wrote:

> Hello Eric-- I wanted to let you know that I spoke to Michael
> Sperberg-McQueen about using XML Schema to validate XPointer "IDREFs."  He
> served in two capacities for the purposes of the discussion: XML
> Coordination Group chair and XML Schema chair.
>
> We concluded that:
>
> - XPointer cannot change because our charter requires us to define a
> fragment identifier language for a URI reference, which means that the # is
> unavoidable.

Yes, it's a good reason !

> - If there is any change needed, it might be with XML Schema, related to
> its key functionality (which currently relies on XPath).  There might need
> to be a broadening of its XPath usage, or it might need a special case, or... .

The answer from James Clark to a similar question about XSLT [1] is
showing how the XSLT document() [2] function is solving this issue.

Unfortunately, document() isn't a XPath function which would have solved
the issue for XML Schema, but the schema WG might still be interested to
consider a similar mechanism to allow access to URIs including a
fragment identifier.

> - At this stage, Michael would like to treat the issue as something to be
> investigated during XML Schema's CR period.

Agreed.

> Does this sound about right to you, or have I mistaken the technicalities
> of your issue?  Thanks--

No, you've given a perfect summary.

Thanks

Eric