QName and default namespace

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:17:24 +0700
To: XML Schema Comments <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
The Namespaces Rec specifies two ways in which QNames can be
interpreted, which differ in how a QName without a prefix are expanded:

A. For element type names, a prefix-less QName is expanded to have the
namespace name of the default namespace if there is one, and a null
namespace name otherwise

B. For attribute names, a prefix-less QName is always expanded to have a
null namespace name.

Applications may differ in which treatment they use. For example, XSLT
uses B (for the names of attribute-sets, keys, modes, variables,
parameters).

I didn't notice anything in Part 2 which says whether A or B is to be
used.  I suspect that you need a facet to control this.

James