From: Paul Cotton [mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2000 12:42 PM
To: W3C XML Query WG (E-mail)
Subject: FW: LC-202 (XML Query comments on XML Schema last-call draft)

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (613) 226-6913
<mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: C. M. Sperberg-McQueen [mailto:cmsmcq@acm.org]
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 2:06 PM
To: Paul Cotton
Cc: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

Dear Paul:

The W3C XML Schema Working Group has spent the last several months
working through the comments received from the public on the last-call
draft of the XML Schema specification.  We thank you for the comments
made by the XML Query WG on our specification during our last-call
comment period, and want to make sure you know that all comments
received during the last-call comment period have been recorded in our
last-call issues list
(http://www.w3.org/2000/05/12-xml-schema-lcissues).

Among other issues, the Query WG raised the point registered as issue
LC-202, which suggests that the post-schema-validation information set
provide optional properties for the 'internal' physical representation
of (simple) data types.

After consideration, the Schema WG came to the conclusion that this
topic is out of scope for XML Schema, and accordingly we will not be
providing the properties in question as part of the definition of the
post-schema-validation infoset.  Schema is defined as a mapping from
an input information set to an output information set, and information
sets are intentionally situated at a level of abstraction at which
implementation details like the binary representation of integers are
out of scope. Some WG members believe that specs which define an API
(e.g. the DOM) might appropriate discuss such properties.  Other WG
members believe that discussion of physical representations is or
should be out of scope even for the DOM.

It would be helpful to us to know whether you are satisfied with the
decision taken by the WG on this issue, or wish your dissent from the
WG's decision to be recorded for consideration by the Director.

With best wishes,

- C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
   Dave Hollander
   Co-chairs, W3C XML Schema WG