Attributes only at end of complex type???

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:55:57 +0700
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Let me start with a little flattery: the design presented by the most
recent WDs of XML Schema seems a very impressive piece of work.

There was, however, one feature that made me virtually fall off my chair
in disbelief: requiring that attribute declarations occur only at the
end of a complex type definition seems both unnecessary and
counterintuitive.  In the instance markup, the attributes *precede* the
content, but in the schema the declaration of the allowed attributes is
required to *follow* the declaration of the allowed content! What
purpose does it serve to impose restrictions on the relative order of
the attribute declarations and element declarations within complex type
declarations, when there are no such restrictions on the relative order
of attribute declarations and element declarations at the top-level?

James