re: LC-125 (your comments on XML Schema last call draft)

From: David RR Webber <Gnosis_@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:06:00 -0400
To: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@acm.org>
Cc: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Message text written by "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen"
>Among other issues, you raised the point registered as issue LC-125,
which requests that the WG extend its last-call comment period to
allow later comments by the ebXML project.  While the WG had some
sympathy with the problems of those who wished to have more time to
comment on the draft, we did not feel ourselves in a position to
extend the comment period formally.  Public drafts of the spec have
been available since May, 1999, and the last-call comment period
lasted five weeks from the publication of the last-call draft.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I concur - this has largely been over taken by events.  Now the
new W3C XML Protocol Working Group is focusing on the
issues being addresses by the ebXML work.

I have not yet seen how this groups work will be different
from that of ebXML.  One would hope there will be strong
working bond - with members being participants in both
to ensure alignment.

It does not make sense for W3C to try to re-invent ebXML, but it
does make sense for W3C to try to make sure XML technologies
exist that empower ebXML.

Thanks, DW.