Re: XML Schema Question

Joseph,

A schema document does not generally constrain instances to a
particular root element - the root may match any of the top-level
<element> declarations.  If there's only one of these, you have your
answer - unless you take advantage of an additional piece of
flexibility (Structures 7.2 approach 1) where you may validate
the type of the root element while ignoring its tag name altogether.

It may help to think of a schema as akin to a type or class library
from which you may choose which declarations and definitions to use
in the instance.

If you have further questions, please address them to
www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

Thanks,

  David