Re: Parametric minOccurs, maxOccurs?

"Eric Rehm" <rehm@singingfish.com> writes:

> I'd like to restrict the number of elements in a <sequence> by an attribute,
> e.g.,
>
> <!-- desired, but not currently valid, XML Schema -->
>
> <complexType name="VectorI">
>     <attribute name="Size" type="integer"/>
>     <sequence minOccurs="Size" maxOccurs="Size">
>         <element name="ValueVectorI" type="integer"/>
>     </sequence>
>  </complexType>
>
> This seems like it would be a pretty common schema feature.  Is
> there a way to do this?

Two classes of co-constraints were considered by the WG for XML Schema
but postponed for a later version:

  co-occurrence constraints among the attributes and children of an
  element, e.g. "this attribute XOR that attribute";

  instance-parameterised constraints (you need one such to provide a
  strict schema for an XSLT stylesheet).

Your requirement falls in to the latter category.  We hope to provide
for it, but not in v.1.

ht