Re: entities in XML Schema

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 13 Mar 2000 10:18:01 +0000
To: "xml-dev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
"Mark Volkmann" <volkmann@inlink.com> writes:

> I've poured over all three parts of the XML Schema working draft (0, 1 & 2)
> and cannot find anything similar to entity definitions in DTDs. Am I missing
> it or has that functionality been omitted from XML Schema on purpose?

Yes.  Since XML Schema begins work on the infoset of a well-formed
(perhaps valid) XML document, parsed entity definition substitution
has already taken place.  We decided a two-pass architecture was too
clunky, and arguably impossible, and concluded the best thing was to
leave XML 1.0 entities to XML 1.0 mechanisms (i.e. you can define
entities in the internal subset) .