Re: conjunction types

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 22:03:01 -0500
To: "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Cc: jtauber@jtauber.com, www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Would you limit this to cases in which the lexical spaces of the
"conjoined" types are disjoint?  I think you have to.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

"Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Sent by: www-xml-schema-comments-request@w3.org
03/03/00 11:26 AM

        To:     "'xml-dev@xml.org'" <xml-dev@xml.org>, "'www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org'"
        cc:     "'jtauber@jtauber.com'" <jtauber@jtauber.com>, (bcc: Noah
        Subject:        conjunction types

At XTech, I asked a question about whether conjunction types might be
considered.  I thought that I had put a message in the comments log on my
thoughts on this, however it seemed to only get into the
help file that I published.

The following facets would seem to address quite a few constructs that
appear within Schema for Schema and a few things like multiple,
disjunctive value ranges from

The <or> facet is satisfied if any of the contained facets is satisified.

The <and> facet is satisified if all of the contained facets are

The <nor> facet is satified if none of the contained facets are
satisified.  A <nor> with
a single contained facet is used to perform a not operation.

The conform facet is satified if the lexical representation would be
to the specified datatype.

For this to work right, <enumeration> needs to become a container of
elements which will make it logically equivalent to all the other facets.

<simpleType name="maxOccur" base="string">
                                 <conform type="non-negative-integer"/>

<simpleType name="noTeens" base="integer">
                                                 <minInclusive value="0"/>
                                 <minInclusive value="20"/>

<simpleType name="targetOrNamespace" base="string">
                                 <conform type="uri-reference"/>

<simpleType name="targetOrNamespaces" base="targetOrNamespace"

<simpleType name="anyAttribute" base="string">
                                                 <literal value="##any"/>
                                 <conform type="targetOrNamespaces"/>