Re: WG shifting gears (was Re: Constructs needed for Schema "compilation")

Thank you Henry. Henry has done a fantastic job both as editor
and as monitor of this mail list. However, he is a critical resource
for the next several weeks and the entire Work Group has been
tasked with getting the current design out.

If your ideas and observations can help us with that task,
please submit them here.

If your ideas are on how we should move forward after this design
is released, hold on to them, or at least make the subject clear
that the subject is for FUTURE.

If you have ideas about how to implement XML Schemas, perhaps
it is time to have those on XML-Dev.

Regards,
Dave Hollander - co-chair
C. M. Sperberg-McQueen - co-chair

At 09:40 AM 2/18/00 +0000, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
 >"Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com> writes:
 >
 > > I have been thinking about the needs of a XML Schema "compiler" . . .
 > >
 > > The first need is a mechanism to . . .
 >
 >We are into the end-game for XML Schema (version 1), and the Working
 >Group has internally accepted the discipline of bringing up no new
 >issues unless they are necessary fix an aspect of the design which is
 >broken.
 >
 >We can't stop you thinking of new things to do with XML Schema, or
 >better ways to do what we're already trying to do, but our resources
 >for responding to suggestions which arise from such thoughts will be
 >limited for a while.
 >
 >As one of the editors, I've been trying to respond to all queries for
 >elucidation about design issues or interpretation, and to engage in
 >debate about perceived weaknesses or gaps in coverage.
 >
 >I personally will no longer be able to do this and do my job as editor
 >during the coming weeks as we try to get a final draft ready for
 >internal W3C Last Call review and publication of a Candidate
 >Recommendation. So I'm afraid I won't respond to Curt's interesting
 >idea right away.
 >
 >We hope to issue a new public working draft in the next week or so:
 >comments to this list on errors, contradictions, etc. in that draft
 >will be welcome on this list, and responded to by me or others.
 >
 >ht
 >--
 > Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh
 > W3C Fellow 1999--2001, part-time member of W3C Team
 > 2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
 > Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk

At 09:40 AM 2/18/00 +0000, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>"Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com> writes:
>
> > I have been thinking about the needs of a XML Schema "compiler" . . .
> >
> > The first need is a mechanism to . . .
>
>We are into the end-game for XML Schema (version 1), and the Working
>Group has internally accepted the discipline of bringing up no new
>issues unless they are necessary fix an aspect of the design which is
>broken.
>
>We can't stop you thinking of new things to do with XML Schema, or
>better ways to do what we're already trying to do, but our resources
>for responding to suggestions which arise from such thoughts will be
>limited for a while.
>
>As one of the editors, I've been trying to respond to all queries for
>elucidation about design issues or interpretation, and to engage in
>debate about perceived weaknesses or gaps in coverage.
>
>I personally will no longer be able to do this and do my job as editor
>during the coming weeks as we try to get a final draft ready for
>internal W3C Last Call review and publication of a Candidate
>Recommendation.  So I'm afraid I won't respond to Curt's interesting
>idea right away.
>
>We hope to issue a new public working draft in the next week or so:
> [...]

Dave Hollander
Director eCommerce Knowledge Management and Interoperability
CommerceNet
Co-chair W3C XML Schema Working Group
dmh@commerce.net
970-613-0605