Re: XML Schemas: Needs Marketing?

From: Edd Dumbill <edd@usefulinc.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:19:51 +0000
To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
Cc: xml-dev@xml.org, www-xml-schema-comments@w3c.org, "Schneider,John C." <jcs@mitre.org>, "Cokus,Michael S." <msc@mitre.org>, "Ripley,Michael W." <rip@mitre.org>
On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 01:44:44PM -0500, Roger L. Costello wrote:
> . Perhaps the XML Schema WG needs to do some marketing?

From my perspective those currently supporting alternative technologies
such as SOX and XDR have all made very definite noises about supporting
W3C XML Schemas as soon as they are finalized (as demonstrated by Andrew
Layman's message re: Microsoft's position). I don't perceive that there
will be much difficulty in persuading vendors to implement XML Schemas,
and the experience being gathered now with SOX & XDR provides useful
guidance for the W3C schema effort itself.

With reference to your point about whether schemas should supplant DTDs,
I agree with Bill la Forge on the benefits of diversity.  There will
always be benefit to me in files that can be created in 'vi' without
the aid of heavyweight tool support or a thick reference manual.
Because XML has such a wide spectrum of application, a spectrum of
approaches seems appropriate.

-- Edd