Re: Specifying scope of uniqueness in XML Schemas?

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 03 Jan 2000 17:29:52 +0000
To: Roger Costello <costello@mitre.org>
Cc: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk, www-xml-schema-comments@w3c.org, "Schneider,John C." <jcs@mitre.org>, "Cokus,Michael S." <msc@mitre.org>
Roger Costello <costello@mitre.org> writes:

> In section 3.7 of the XML Schema spec it talks about the mechanism for
> indicating uniqueness (of elements, attributes, or combinations
> thereof).  It says that you can specify uniqueness within a region, or
> over the entire document:
>
> "Constraints can be specified to have document-wide scope or to hold
> within the scope of particular elements."
>
> Can someone explain to me how you indicate the scope of a constraint?  I
> am guessing that it is with the selector element, but I am not sure.

Sorry this isn't clearer:  The scope is indicated by where the
declaration goes:  if I put a <key> element within an element
declaration for an element named 'foo', then the uniqueness and
ubiquity constraints obtain within each <foo>...</foo> in a document.

The <selector> tells you which elements WITHIN each <foo> must have keys.