Re: Note on DTD-related questions

muraw3c@attglobal.net wrote:

> Dan wrote:
> >MURATA Makoto wrote:
> snip
> >> I had a look at your www site, but have not been able find an example of
> >> schemata containing more than one vocabulary.  What is the schema for
> >> your example "xhtml-mathml-ex.html"?
> >
> >There are two namespaces, and two schema documents:
> >       http://www.w3.org/XML/2000/04schema-hacking/html-renamed
> >       http://www.w3.org/XML/2000/04schema-hacking/mathml-renamed
> >
> >The schema I intend to use to validate xhtml-mathml-ex.html
> >is the union of the schema components represented in those
> >two schema documents.
>
> I very much would like to see "the union", since I have no ideas
> about it.  I strongly doubt that XML Schema is simply unable to
> capture it thus failing to provide a basis for the XHTML family.

I'm not talking about a schema for the union of two languages;
I'm talking about a simple union of two finite sets:

	the set of schema components represented in html-renamed
	the set of schema components represented in mathml-renamed

Note that per our spec, a schema document is different from
a schema:

"[Definition:]   An XML Schema is a set of schema components.
         There are 12 kinds of component in all, falling into three
groups.
	..."
	-- http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmlschema-1-20000407/#key-schema

> > [... no comment on the good question about requirements just now...]
>
> In my understanding, you are updating the requirement document.

Right... I better get on to that...

> It would be very nice if (1) the updated requirement document states
> this issue, (2) the HTML WG agrees on your description of the issue,
> and (3) your example (and "the union") is published as a solution.

I'll see what I can do...

tel:+1-913-491-0501 (office phone as of 27 Apr 2000)
mailto:connolly.pager@w3.org?subject=pls%20call%20+1-NNN-NNN-NNNN